Welcome to Through the Lens!
As of this writing, there’s only 19 days before Christmas! Crazy, right? Have you bought your gifts yet?!?!? Allow me to help you out.
We all have a friend who is interested in photography. Make Christmas extra special for them by giving them something related to their passion.
But before that, here’s the Photo of the Month winner for November:
En route to the famous Sunken Cemetery of Camiguin #halloween #allsaintsday #allsoulsday #cemetery #ancient #ruins #choosephilippines #VforVentoura #LiveLaughExplore #adventures #epsnapshots #edventuresph #wanderlust #vsco #vscocam #woogoph #goshow #travelph #awesome #neverstopexploring @worldphotoblog #philippines #goworldwide #pinasmuna #planetravellers #itsmorefuninthephilippines #032igers #ph #areyouawake #amazingphilippines
“En route to the famous Sunken Cemetery of Camiguin” Photo by Ed Lim ( @edlimsanity )
Congratulations, Ed Lim! We’ll contact you soon so you can claim your prize.
Here’s a list of what you can get your photographer friend for Christmas:
1. Stylish camera straps. There are lots to choose from. You can get the fun patterned ones or better yet, the fancy leather straps.
2. Lens mug. Let’s be honest, lenses are the best gifts, but too expensive. Regular mugs are boring, but affordable. Get them a lens mug! Affordable and inspires your friend to save up for that dream lens while sipping coffee at work.
3. Lens pen. No, it’s not a pen that looks like a lens. Rather, it’s a pen-like brush to clean the optics of the lens. I suggest getting the set with a dust blower and microfiber cloth. Every photographer needs one.
4. Memory card. Memory cards are a welcome gift especially for photographers with a lot of gigs. Want to make it extra special? Get the ones with the wifi function.
5. Photography designed T-shirt. No better way to scream what you love doing through your shirt.
6. Powerbank. Your mobile photographer friends will love you for this!
7. Olloclip or any smartphone lens kit. It’s usually a 3-in-1 lens kit; the fisheye, wide-angle, and macro lens. This will give that extra oomph for your friend’s mobile photos.
8. Five in one collapsible reflector. A great gift for photographers starting out with Portraiture and experimenting with lighting.
9. Photo books. You can’t go wrong with photo books. You can even get them used ones. These are great sources of inspiration. I suggest going to Book Sale. It’s a treasure trove of used books! Say hi if you see me there! 🙂
10. Analog camera. Nothing beats the old-school full-manual analog camera. It forces your friend out of the comforts and convenience of a digital camera. Throw in a few rolls of color and black and white films to get her started. If they already have an analog camera, just get a few rolls of film. Film is always a valuable commodity for analog shooters.
11. Retro Camera case for a smartphone. Give your friend’s smartphone a new look!
12. Be your friend’s model for a day, or book her for photography services. Your friend will surely appreciate the support.
These are just a few of the many things you can get your photographer friend. It doesn’t have to be expensive. Most of the things on this list are affordable. After all, it’s the thought that counts.
Would you like to add something to the list? Post your suggestions on the comment box below! Who knows, your friend might be reading this.
Here are the newest selections for December Photo of the Month:
Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around – nobody big, I mean – except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff – I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be. J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
Join our Through the Lens by tagging your photos with #032igers on Instagram or Tumblr. If you know someone who deserves a spot above, leave their usernames on the comment box below. We’ll check out their feed or you can tell them about Through the Lens. Best Photo of the Month wins Zerothreetwo merchandise.